Pros and Cons of an Electric Wheel Chair?: Trying to decide whether or not you should get an electric wheelchair as opposed to a manual wheelchair? Before I list the pros and cons of electric wheelchairs, here are a few things you should know about electric wheelchairs.
Ideally, you want to get an electric wheelchair from a company that is a licensed supplier that offers good service. This is important in case your wheelchair breaks down. You can choose between a rear-wheel drive, mid-wheel drive and a front-wheel-drive wheelchair. If you want speed, get the rear-wheel drive. If you want good turning ability, then get the mid-wheel drive or front-wheel drive. Just be sure to take each version for a test drive.
Here are the pros of owning an electric wheelchair:
1. Perfect for people with limited or nobody mobility including those who rely on a wheelchair as their primary method of getting around.
2. Increases the quality of one’s life.
3. Great for speed in getting to where you need to go as opposed to self-propelling yourself.
4. An excellent choice if you do not have one someone to push you – increases your self-reliance.
5. Nowadays, motors on electric chairs are very quiet.
6. You can get around without requiring a helper to push you.
1. Electric wheelchairs can be expensive as prices range from $ 1,000 to $ 3,000. Some electric wheelchairs even cost $ 10,000!
2. May require service repairs.
3. May not need it if you’re going to be in a wheelchair for a short period of time.
4. Can be hard to transport them in vehicles.
Ultimately, when choosing between an electric wheelchair or a manual wheelchair (click here for manual wheelchair pros and cons) – you will have to determine what you can afford, the primary uses of the wheelchair, how long you will be in it and your physical condition.